About This Blog

We are writers. We have embarked on a new phase in our lives: one where exploration, discovery, learning, adventure and
restoration are the key elements. We will be chronicling our experiences. (Subscribe to our blog at the bottom of the page.)

Monday, September 2, 2019


A SOLITARY WALK


Labour Day Weekend is the last chance for some summer fun for many: a wild weekend at a cottage, family barbecues or a couples' getaway.

I've had a good summer and in many ways a more social one than I imagined. In my The Third Phase Solo, I am opening myself to new people.

But, inevitably, there are lulls in a social calendar - in mine at least - and suddenly when it seems everyone is off partying, the calendar is blank. I was ready for it, or so I thought, after a busy time. In the past, I welcomed lazy summer days with no plans, enjoyed doing practically nothing for a whole day. But then there was a partner, Peter, to share those days with. Even blank days were filled with all I needed. 

And I found myself this Labour Day missing Peter in the week before the third anniversary of his death.

So I took myself to a wild, deserted park near my home where I can walk through the woods and along a beach where I have to climb over trees that have been brought down by erosion. 

Being in this spot, I am often alone but yet feel more connected to Peter. It always makes me feel better.

Among the rubble on the beach, I came across a solitary shoe, a loafer that could have belonged to a woman or a man. There is nothing more useless looking than a shoe without a partner. Where has your mate gone to? I wondered as I scanned the beach. That shoe seemed to say it all: I was that shoe and I had lost the other one. With the lake waves crashing behind me I stared at the shoe and shook myself. How pathetic was I being? But I let myself feel like that shoe for a moment and then I moved on.

But the objects around me kept speaking of loss: uprooted trees, a broken dock and then, surprisingly, part of a staircase.

 
I posted the staircase on Facebook with the label, "Staircase to nowhere," a play on the song,"Staircase to Heaven." And I felt more sad and pathetic. Why couldn't I think of it a staircase to the unknown. Why did I persist in seeing loss as leading me nowhere, instead of into some surprising new future? And then I thought of Peter and the optimism he had and encouraged me to live with. And I felt grateful for this wild beach I could escape to and hold an existential discussion with a shoe and a staircase. Finally, I could laugh at myself and head home to cook myself a favourite breakfast.

Another lesson on learning to live solo.

No comments:

Post a Comment